Evangelistic Temple Assembly of God is the spiritual offspring of the Pentecostal Movement that saw its beginnings in the Spirit-led Azusa Street Revivals of the early 1900s in the United States. In 1928, an Assemblies of God missionary from the South Florida District, Rev. I. G. Roberts, visited New Providence to preach the Gospel of Jesus Christ to Bahamians. After Rev. Roberts left The Bahamas, a small group of believers, organized under the unofficial leadership of S. B. Pinder, carried on this spiritual work. Then in 1932, Vivian Weech was elected the official leader of this group of Pentecostal believers.
|Two years later in 1934, Rev. Vivian Weech, along with the members, built a wooden structure on a piece of property located on Kemp Road in Nassau to accommodate the large crowds that were joining the group on a regular basis. This building was dedicated and named Pentecostal Lighthouse Tabernacle, the very first name given to Evangelistic Temple by its spiritual forefathers. In l935, Pentecostal Lighthouse Tabernacle was accepted and officially recognized as a member of the Assemblies of God, South Florida District. It became the very first Assembly of God Church to be established in The Bahamas|
In 1941, Pentecostal Lighthouse Tabernacle was renamed Evangelistic Temple. Following the service of a number of outstanding pastors, Evangelistic Temple elected Minister Gary V. Curry as its pastor in 1978. Pastor Curry, as he is affectionately called by members and his religious colleagues, distinguishes himself as the longest serving Pastor of Evangelistic Temple from 1978-2012.Led by Pastor Curry, Evangelistic Temple experienced unprecedented growth during the early l980s and noticeably impacted the entire Bahamian community when it opened the doors of Toddlers Academy that birthed Temple Christian Pre and Elementary School in September l981.
A few years later, in 1989, Temple Christian High School was established. Temple Christian School has significantly contributed to and continues to contribute to nation building as it has produced and continues to produce some of the finest men and women who possess strong Christian values, many of whom are outstanding leaders within our society.
Temple's presence within the community continues to positively impact the lives
of many, particularly those in need of spiritual rebirth. The membership
continues to grow as many positive activities and programs draw people from all
walks of life to a richer, more profound relationship with our Lord and Savior,
Evangelistic Temple's presence within the community continues to positively impact the lives of many, particularly those in need of spiritual rebirth. The membership continues to grow as many positive activities and programs draw people from all walks of life to a richer, more profound relationship with our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.
|Because of this unprecedented growth, Evangelistic Temple became increasingly aware of the fact that it had outgrown its existing facilities. This led to the decision to build a new state-of-the-art edifice just east of the current edifice. The Groundbreaking Ceremony for the new sanctuary took place on Sunday, April 17, 2005. Then the new structure commenced in 2006 and after much prayer and fasting it was completed in 2011.|
On Sunday, December 4, 2011, the new edifice opened its doors and its first ever service was held amidst jubilant praises to God by the pastors, officers and members of the church. Evangelistic Temple continues to be grateful to God for His unmerited favour and blessings on the completion of its new sanctuary.
To commemorate its completion, a special dedicatory service of thanksgiving was held on Monday, February 20, 2012. After thirty-four years of faithful and dedicated service to Evangelistic Temple, Pastor Curry officially retired as the church's esteemed pastor following a spirit-filled retirement service on Sunday, July 29th, 2012. He and his family's outstanding legacy, including their many significant contributions to the church and the country, will be forever etched in the annals of Evangelistic Temple. Then, with Pastor Curry's blessings and an overwhelming vote of confidence from the Board and congregation, Pastor Vaughan L. Cash, the former Associate Pastor, succeeded Pastor Curry as the Senior Pastor of Evangelistic Temple in a high-spirited installation service of praise and thanksgiving held on Friday, August 10, 2012. Under his dynamic and able leadership, he, his family and the membership are on the move to fulfill the church's vision and mission to not only reach the lost, but also to disciple the Body of Christ through the love and power of God.